Kelly Manufacturing



Kentucky Ag News Headlines
Kentucky Corn Production May Set a Record
Kentucky Ag Connection - 08/13/2019

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) released the August Crop Production report Monday, showing a potential record production forecast for corn, increased burley tobacco production and reduced soybean production.

"Based on producer reports, 2019 corn production may reach a record high in Kentucky, surpassing the 243 million bushels grown in 2013," said David Knopf, director of the NASS Eastern Mountain Regional Office in Kentucky. "Production is forecast to increase 26 percent from a year ago, most of that increase resulting from an expected 22 percent rise in harvested acres. This first forecast also suggests that there is potential for a record high yield."

Corn production in Kentucky is forecast at 272 million bushels, up 26 percent from the previous crop. Yield is estimated at 181 bushels per acre, up 6 bushels from the 2018 level. Acres for harvest as grain were estimated at 1.50 million acres, up 270,000 acres from 2018. The U.S. corn production is forecast at 13.9 billion bushels, down 4 percent from 2018. Based on conditions as of August 1, yields are expected to average 169.5 bushels per acre, down 6.9 bushels from 2018. Area harvested for grain is forecast at 82.0 million acres, up slightly from 2018.

Soybean production for Kentucky is forecast at 89.6 million bushels, a decrease of 13 percent from 2018. Yield is estimated at 53.0 bushels per acre, up 1.0 bushels from a year ago. Acreage for harvest as beans was estimated at 1.69 million acres, down 300,000 acres from the previous year. U.S. soybean production is forecast at 3.68 billion bushels, down 19 percent from last year. Based on August 1 conditions, yields are expected to average 48.5 bushels per acre, down 3.1 bushels from last year. Area for harvest is forecast at 75.9 million acres, down 14 percent from 2018.

Kentucky farmers expect to harvest 24.3 million bushels of winter wheat during 2019. The expected crop for 2019 would be up 23 percent from the previous year. Growers expect a yield of 76.0 bushels per acre, up 10.0 bushel from 2018 and down 1.0 bushels from July. Farmers expect to harvest 320,000 acres for grain. Winter wheat production for the Nation was forecast at 1.33 billion bushels, up 12 percent from 2018. The United States yield is forecast at 53.2 bushels per acre, up 1.4 bushels from last month and up 5.3 bushels from last year. The expected area to be harvested for grain or seed totals 24.9 million acres, up 1 percent from last year. Kentucky burley tobacco production is forecast at 90.0 million pounds, up 13 percent from 2018. Yield is projected at 2,000 pounds per acre, up 400 pounds from the 2018 crop. Harvested acreage was estimated at 45,000 acres, down 5,000 acres from last year's crop. For the burley producing states production is forecast at 106 million pounds, up 5 percent from last year. Burley growers plan to harvest 52,600 acres, down 14 percent from 2018. Yields were expected to average 2,010 pounds per acre, up 365 pounds from last year.

Production of Kentucky dark fire-cured tobacco is forecast at 29.8 million pounds, down 15 percent from the previous year. Dark air-cured tobacco production is forecast at 20.2 million pounds, up 5 percent from last year.

Production of hay by Kentucky farmers is forecast to be up from last year due to higher yields. Alfalfa hay production is forecast at 391,000 tons, 13 percent below the 2018 level. Other hay production is estimated at 5.00 million tons, up 8 percent from last year.

Data for this report is made possible by producers across the Commonwealth. ""I appreciate their efforts to help inform their fellow growers of supply estimates," Knopf said.

Send this article to a friend


Other Kentucky Headlines
Hixwood Metal
Kelly Manufacturing
Copyright © 2019 - Farms.com. All Rights Reserved.